When you adopt a puppy, you will take on a lot of behavior traits that may come from abuse or neglect.
These Best Dog Behavior Books are sure to help you navigate this fragile emotional time, as well as work through transitions of bringing a new pet around existing pets.
Getting to know how your dog thinks and what causes their behavior and actions will help you to build a better relationship with them in the long run.
➔➔Interested in tips that help you understand your dog better? Get Weekly Exclusive NEWS. SUBSCRIBE
7 BEST DOG BEHAVIOR BOOKS
The best dog behavior books are those that not only teach us something new about our canine companions, but do it in a way that we can actually follow.
After all, not all of us have animal behaviorist degrees, right? The following books are a great place to start if you want to understand your dog!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
A must-read if you have an aggressive dog, Beware of the Dog teaches you positive correction methods.
- Learn the latest protocols for evaluating and dealing with the problems of aggressive dogs
- Discover management strategies that really work.
- Written in an easy-to-understand way for both professional trainers and average dog parents.
This book helps understand what cause behavior issues.
- Although it doesn’t offer true training tips, it does include some simple behavior recommendations that will help you to overcome behavior issues.
- Written in a light, humorous style that’s easy to read.
- Fogle is an expert in the dog training community, lending a lot of credibility to his work.
The full title says it all: this is the The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How To Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones
- This is a great resource full of information that will help you understand what causes some of the unsavory behaviors in your pets.
- It also gives you some great tips on how to combat and prevent those behaviors.
- At 389 pages, it’s just the right length to give you a full overview without bogging you down in details that you don’t really need.
This book offers tons of cues on visual behavior indicators in your dogs. It is a great resource to help you learn how to prevent bad behavior in the making.
Teaches things like:
- The tell-tale signs of a potentially dangerous dog… and when never to approach.
- What the “whale eye” in dogs means and why it’s important
- What to do if you find yourself face to face with an aggressive dog.
If you are serious about understanding the emotions of your dog, this book is a great in depth look at what causes their behaviors.
- With great tips on how to reprogram bad behavior, it is a good book to improve your dog owner relationship.
- Hailed as “a revelation–a treasure trove of useful facts, a promise that it delivers on.
- A must-read for those who truly think of their dogs as part of the family.
Understand what is behind the multitude of dog behavior problems with this thorough encyclopedia of various characteristics, behavior and their causes.
- Simple to follow encyclopedia style writing.
- Includes an A-Z guide to canine body postures.
- Illustrations really help drive the messages home and let you understand your dog’s behavior.
Want your kids to become better connected to their pet dog? Check out this fantastic book!
- This book is a great resource that will help them to bond and understand the different behavior their puppy or dog present.
- Written in a way that’s easy for kids to understand.
- You might even learn some new things yourself!
Set yourself up for dog owning success with one or all of these great dog behavior books. Spend some time reading and learning about your dog and their behavior so you can give them the best home possible.
Do you have any favorite dog behavior books to share? Tell us in the comments!
Last update on 2019-06-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API